REPs has begun as an independent quality assurance organisation to drive up standards, offering the REPs kitemark of quality to the awarding organisations, higher education establishments, and academic representation such as to students’ union and training providers that achieve them.
Today REP provides a system of regulation for over 20,000 passionate health and fitness instructors. REPs is an active member of the International Confederation of Registers of Exercise Professionals (ICREPs) working with them on the global standards and any other international matters relevant to the health and fitness industry in the UK.
REPs has a robust continuing professional development (CPD) structure in place to ensure members are kept up to date with current research and thinking.
REPs training provider badge issued by PD Approval which is an independent quality assurance organisation contracted by REPs. PD Approval has endorsed over 2000 pieces of continuing professional development. The benefits of undertaking a PD-endorsed CPD is as follows:
- All training has gone through a rigorous quality assurance process
- All endorsed training over 8 hours will have a formal assessment
- REPs insurance covers all endorsed training
- Endorsed training awards up to 16 CPD points to REPs members
All REPs qualifications sit on the Regulated Qualification Framework (RQF) and are delivered by an approved qualification awarding organisation.
A sample of the training courses offered by REPs includes:
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- Level 3 Diploma in Fitness Instructing and Personal Training
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
The Register of Exercise Professionals is the largest and longest established independent public register for the health and fitness industry in the United Kingdom. Registering with REPs allows you to join the largest community of qualified exercise professionals. Joining also enhances your employability as REPs is recognised globally through the International Confederation of REPs.
Some of the other benefits of joining REPs include:
- Developing your skills with industry-recognised training
- The opportunity to promote your professional services
- Learn from industry experts
- Access exclusive membership benefits
- Protection with the specialised insurance that includes public liability and personal accident cover
- Receive regular newsletters on the latest news and insights from the industry
Code of Ethics and Conduct
All members of the REPs who provide services in fitness instruction are expected to adhere to the high standard of ethical and professional conduct. The REPs code of conduct acknowledges that physical activity has an extremely positive effect on mental health. Physical activity can be enhanced and protected by ensuring that individuals are informed and guided within an acceptable ethical and professional framework.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Identify and meet the needs of individuals
- Act with integrity and respect
- Maintain and develop your competence
- Create an environment in which individuals are motivated to maintain their participation and improve their performance of fitness
- Seek to adopt the highest level of professional standards in your work
- Maintain a safe working environment for all your clients